Why Use Bamboo?
- No pesticides, insecticides or fertilisers are used in the growing
- Uses only rainwater to grow compared to cotton which uses up to 2700 litres of water for a single T-shirt
- Doesn't need vast lands to grow as it can grow very densely
- Produces 30% more oxygen & absorbs more carbon dioxide than trees
- Grows up to a metre a day with some species growing up to 30m tall
- New stems can be harvested again and again making bamboo one of the most sustainable raw materials in the world
In order to produce high-quality bamboo fabric, a process must be used which uses a non-toxic solvent to break down the ‘woody’ bamboo pulp. Crushed bamboo is soaked in the solvent to produce cellulose. Once the cellulose fibre is made all of the water and solvent used in the process is filtered out and reused so the entire process is eco-friendly and done in a closed-loop system.
There is some concern that the chemicals used are harmful, but when used responsibly it has absolutely no effect on the environment and workers’ health. It is routinely used in the processing of organic cotton into fibre and is approved by the Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS) and the Soil Association. It is also widely used in everything from soap production to food preparation. Moreover it does not remain as a residue on bamboo clothing since it easily washes away.
We only source our bamboo fabrics from suppliers that can provide organic certifications for the growing of the raw bamboo and OEKO-TEX 100 certifications which proves that no harmful chemicals were used throughout the various stages of the process and no harmful chemicals are present at all on the final product.
- Contains an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal bio-agent which is retained through the fabrication process and even after washing many, many times. This property makes all our products odour-resistant
- Extremely hypo-allergenic which is great for eczema sufferers and those with sensitive skin
- Feels great as it is a very soft fabric and very gentle on the skin
- Has a neutral charge which makes it anti-static, so no more clinging clothes